Sunday December 18: Orientation
We spent the better part of the day going over the orientation which includes getting to know the team, learning about the service options, setting team goals and learning the rules. This is the third time I've gone through this training, so I could have done without it, but it was nice to get to know my team. We've got a great group of people: In addition to my Aunt, Joelle and myself there's a 17-year-old senior in high school from Denver named Will, a 26 year-old guy from Atlanta named Chris, Kerry (my roommate) from California, Mary from Florida, and Genny from Worcester, MA. Based off of our first day of conversation, I can tell we are going to have a blast together.
I've enjoyed playing with Roshan, Stephen and Sheeba's three-year-old son. He has warmed up to me a ton. In previous visits, it was all I could to to hold him for one minute. Stephen, Sheeba and Roshan are living at the guest house with us, so we get to spend all sorts of time with them.

We went to SEAM Children's home, where there are 36 children who are orphaned or semi-orphaned. There were five new children (since my visit in February) at the orphanage, meaning that five have moved on. One of my favorites is gone and I'm sad to miss him. There is a long waiting list of children wanting to come to SEAM. The kids had so much energy and were extremely eager to gain our attention and affection. We danced and I lifted the children into the air, over and over and over again. I love these kids.
Our team went out for dinner. I was so tired that I was literally falling asleep at dinner. Classy, I know. This jet leg has me waking up at 4:30AM so by 9PM I'm spent.
Monday, December 19: First official day of the program
We started the day off with yoga on the rooftop. We asked our instructor to start at the intermediate level; I hope that wasn't a mistake later next week as we advance.
After breakfast we headed off to our assignments. This time around, I decided to spend the majority of time at Assisi Illam with Jasmine. In the past, I've taught at various schools. Being the children had exams this week I thought my time would be better spent at the orphanage. I've realized it's hard to do everything and be everywhere, but I'm going to try. It was hard for me not to go to GRACE school today; we're going to work something out for me to go later this week.
The younger children had off from school for the holiday. Nonetheless, Sister Rose had us helping them with homework. I'm impressed with their penmanship and how much they've

learned. Jasmine's in her second year of school at age 4 and knows how to write 1-100, ABC's in upper and lower case and is able to write the spelling of one, two, three up to ten without help. I sat on the ground with the kids to help them with their homework, they were clinging to me as they went about their work. It's heartwarming how they want to be so close with us. After the homework was done, we sang songs and goofed around. I was able to capture Jasmine singing Skidamarink. See the link. http://youtu.be/7Ckqh8p01Tw


We spent the afternoon and early evening at SEAM. We got there just before they came back from school and they were so excited to see us there when they got home. The kids went about their routine of changing out of their school uniform and doing their chores of doing the dishes, cleaning their rooms and sweeping the dirt ground. I had Stephen line up the kids in order of age so that I could get their individual pictures taken so that we can learn their names. The kids love getting their photos taken. I plan to make copies for them to keep as well. After the photos were taken, we spent time with the kids one-on-one for two rounds of a half hour each. I think it's going to be much more effective to work with these kids on an individual basis. We spent the last half hour playing with the kids. I arm wrestled a few of the older boys. I wonder if I shouldn't have been so competitive and let them win. Oh well, something for them to work up to :)



No comments:
Post a Comment