Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Day of Dance


Stephen and his brother Stephen picked me up from the airport and brought me straight to Assisi Illam. The younger kids had the day off from school as they had an extra day of school last week for a dance program. The kids were all dressed up, especially the girls who had ankle bracelets, bangles, and purses. They were about to go into town with Sr Rose an Sr Rexline for a shopping trip. Stephen told Sr Rose that I didn’t sleep the night before, so she brought me to her room and insisted that I lay down. I rested for a few hours then joined everyone for lunch while the day care kids were napping, lined up just like sardines.

We were at SEAM for just an hour as we had evening plans with Assisi Illam. Being there wasn’t enough time for computers, we just made sure all of the chores were done and we played games and danced with the kids. I tend to spend more time with the boys than the girls, just like last year. I think it’s because the boys are more aggressive for attention.

We were invited to Assisi Illam for a dance recital. The kids swarmed to great us when we arrived. They were dressed up in what seems to be traditional Indian dance costumes complete with lipstick, blush, red markings on their hands, bendis, bangles, and jasmine in their hair. They did a few Indian dances and then switched to some American ones too. The kids invited us to dance with them. I had a great time dancing with Sister Rose. The kids told me my dance moves were very beautiful. These children are very talented dancers. There is a priest who comes to Assisi Illam once a week to teach dance lessons. Our team was considering going to traditional Indian dance performance, but I'd take this performance over that any day. Sister Rose prepared a wonderful meal and the rest of the evening was spent visiting and playing with the children.



No comments:

Post a Comment