One of the fourth Standard girls passed me a note that she told me was a secret. It was a note saying, “I love U Shelly.” I’ll have to write my name on the board again tomorrow; I thought they had this down. In her defense, she missed three days of class last week in punishment for not having her homework completed and the last volunteer's name was Shelly.

Dr Sr Rexline invited all of the volunteers to St Joseph’s hospital for lunch. She and the Mother Superior served us lunch. We were bothered that they didn’t eat with us. Dr Sr Rexline was in a rush so she headed off after giving us each of gift of a scarf. We were humbled that they felt the need to give us a gift in thanks for a few weeks of our service, when they’ve dedicated their entire life to service.
We headed to the Government Emporium for a bit of shopping, a place where they collect artesian crafts from local people and sell it all at one place. I'm not making near as many purchases as I did last year.
I had one more nap to get me all caught up on the lost night of sleep from the wedding before heading to SEAM. I just love how these kids cling to me; even some of the older 15-year-old boys like to hug an lean on me. I’m happy to share my love with them. I taught computer use again today. I allowed a shorter amount of time for each group so that more kids had a chance to use them. I spent some time with John, the 15-year who broke his leg in two places from playing a roughhousing game (the same game the Kumar hurt his shoulder in yesterday). He’s recently out of his cast and his foot is all bandaged up. Stephen said the John needs to practice walking; John said it was too painful to walk. With a lot of coaxing, I finally convinced John that he could lean on me as he walked around his room. We made it two laps around the room; he looked as if he was going to cry due to the level of pain he was experiencing. His reward was playing a game on my iPhone. I hate seeing him in so much pain, but I’m happy that he’s back at SEAM and has returned to school.


No comments:
Post a Comment